Antiacademy English Dictionary

_subversive_

viernes, 28 de diciembre de 2012

_subversive_

Adjective.
Pronunciation and accent: səbvɜːsɪv, (America: səbvərsɪv)
Etymology: derived from the Latin verb subvertere (= to subvert). It is identical to Spanish subversivo, French subversif, and Italian sovversivo. Subvertere it is analysed into these Latin elements: sub- (prefix with semantic implication of “under”) + vertere (= to turn).
Definition: (of a thing, or a person) that subverts; tending to cause subversion; causing, or tending to cause invalidation or discontinuity of something, either corporeal or incorporeal, through contrariety of forces, powers, opinions, etc.
Antonyms: invigorating, energizing, exciting.
Synonyms: overpowering, invalidating.
It is dated from the beginning of 1600.
Whether it was the salt or the mustard, or the mere combination of so many subversive agents, as soon as the last had been poured over his throat, the young sufferer obtained relief.
Louis Stevenson… The Dynamiter
-) With the preposition of + a noun of the thing invalidated:
Out of school, he could not help feeling that the boy had not been very far wrong, however subversive of authority his behaviour had been.
George MacDonald… Alec Forbes of Howglen
Without consulting any other authors, we have here four conceptions of attraction distinct from each other, and entirely subversive of each other.
Felix O’Gallagher… An essay on the investigation…
[…] a belief which it has been pronounced is subversive of my whole theory.
Charles Darwin… The Origin of Species
Without a word I rose, pressed my baby to my bosom as if her mother had been left a widow, and swept away. Percivale started to his feet. I did not see, but I knew he gazed after me for a moment; then I heard him sit down to his painting as if nothing had happened […]. For me, I found the precipice, or Jacob's ladder, I had to climb, very subversive of my dignity; for when a woman has to hold a baby in one arm, and with the hand of the other lift the front of her skirt in order to walk up an almost perpendicular staircase, it is quite impossible for her to “sweep” any more.
George MacDonald… The Vicar's Daughter
Some remarks of Majendie and others may seem subversive of my theory.
Alexander Philip… A treatise…
You know already, that, on the road, I had the good fortune to encounter Emily and her uncle: and the result of that meeting, you perceive, was completely subversive of my emigrating plan.
Sarah Burney… Tales of fancy
English words derived from Latin vertere: see INTROVERT.