Antiacademy English Dictionary

/congenial/synonyms

martes, 5 de marzo de 2024

/congenial/synonyms

/congenial/

-) Adjective.

-) Pronunciation and accent: kəndʒiːnɪəl.

-) Etymology: it is analysed into Latin con- (together) + English word GENIAL, which is derived from Latin genius (genius), and, this one, from gignere  (to beget).

-) 1. (Of a person, his temperament, genius, etc.) having congeniality with another; (of two or more persons, or another animals) having similar geniuses or temperaments; --with the preposition to, or with, followed by a noun.

-) Translation: congenial, in Spanish; congeniale, in Italian; congénial, in French.

-) Antonym of congenial: uncongenial.

-) Synonym for congenial: sympathetic.

There is but one of my neighbors, whose temper I find at all congenial to my own.

Mackenzie… Julia… 1777

My own disposition, at this period, to silence and retirement, was too congenial with the taciturn habits of my hosts to be by them counteracted, and they suffered me, therefore, to return to my home as I had quitted it, with a mere usual and civil salutation.

Burney… Letters of Madame D'Arblay… 1792 

I love her, because she has feelings congenial with my own.

Cooper… Tales for Fifteen… 1823

[He had] no feeling or sentiment congenial with my own.

Catherine Embury… Glimpses of Home Life… 1848

A husband whose mode of thinking is congenial to my own.

Trollope… Can You Forgive Her?... 1864

Although I cannot keep up correspondences with many of my readers who seem to be thoroughly congenial with myself, let them be assured that their letters have been read or heard with peculiar gratification, and are preserved as precious treasures.

Oliver Holmes… Over the Teacups… 1891

The mule performs in Spain the functions of the camel in the East, and has something in his morale (besides his physical suitableness to the country) which is congenial to the character of his masters.

Ford… Gatherings from Spain… 1851

-) Metaphorically: (of two or more things).

Brideoake repaired daily to the public library, […] to read during the intervals of school hours. The reading-room was most congenial to study.

Ainsworth… Mervyn Clitheroe… 1858

This Italian adventure seemed congenial with the romantic mystery in which the poet had involved the progress of his passion for his poetic mistress.

Isaac Disraeli… Amenities of Literature… 1841

-) 2. (Of something) suited or agreeable to one’s genius or temperament; ―with the preposition to, followed by a noun.

-) Antonym: uncongenial.

Peril and adventure are congenial to his nature.

Irving… The Sketch Book… 1819

[…] a mysterious sympathy seemed to render silence and sorrow congenial to me.

Marguerite Blessington… The Works… 1836

Solitude was congenial to herself…

Speight… Under lock and key… 1869

 An incredulous smile played for a second upon the lips of the outlaw, succeeded quickly, however, by the savage expression, which, from being that most congenial to his feelings, had become that most habitual to his face.

Simms… Guy Rivers… 1890

On the first of January, 1862, after an experience of about five years, I retired from the selling of clothing, which was never congenial to me.

Newmark… Southern California… 1916

-) Words derived from the word congenial: congeniality, congenialize (rare), congenially, uncongenial, uncongeniality.

-) Words derived from latin gignere, see CONGENIALITY.

 

 

Your Book Translated into Spanish

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario