Antiacademy English Dictionary

Quiz

lunes, 20 de agosto de 2018

Quiz

_quiz_

Verb.
Pronunciation: kwɪz.
Etymology: of uncertain origin.

Preterite tense: quizzed; preterite participle: quizzed; present participle: quizzing.

Transitively: 1. a. To make fun of (someone), by addressing something facetious to him, particularly, by one or more questions.

It is dated from the end of 1700.
Synonyms: to mock at (some one), banter, chaff, rally, jeer, ridicule.
Translation: embromar, in Spanish; dileggiare, in Italian; plaisanter (quelqu’un), in French.
Arabella was quizzing Sue with more regard of how she was speaking than of what she was saying.
Thomas Hardy… Jude the Obscure
He says there's a great deal of poetry in brewing beer, but of course he's only quizzing us.
Anthony Trollope… Rachel Ray
b. To quiz (someone) out of: to dissuade (a person) from something by jesting him. Cf. To banter someone out of.

Cary, like a dear kind girl as she is, laughed and quizzed me out of my delusion…
Charles Lever… The Dodd Family Abroad
2. Unusual: to regard; to eye.

Went to the theatre, to look for Gruff. Saw him sitting in a side box, in the second tier, between a fat lady and a lean one. Quizzed the whole party through an opera-glass, till I saw the fat lady blush and whisper to G.
Edgar Poe
He used to quiz me with his eye-glass from the drawing-room windows.
Arabella Argus… Further adventures…
3. To refer a quiz or question to (a person). Particularlly in U. S. A.: to examine (a student) orally.

It is dated from the beginning of 1800.
Synonyms: to question, interrogate.

"Oh! So you've got your own list all made out?" he quizzed.
Eleanor Abbott… The Sick-a-Bed Lady
She was silent for the most part on the road that day, though whiles she would be quizzing her brother about the lassies in the college town.
John Sillars… The McBrides
I was endeavouring to think of a rhyme for sympathetic, when I heard footsteps in the Lime- tree walk, behind, and presently found that Barton and his wife were walking there. It was very awkward for me; I durst not move, because I thought they would quiz me about my verses, if they should see me with the pencil and paper, and yet I did not like to keep quiet, for I could hear every word they said, and I found they were talking about myself.
Elizabeth Strutt… Chances and changes
Edouard tells me he saw you kissing a beggar's brat. The young rogue was going to quiz you about it at the dinner-table; luckily, he told me his intention, and I would not let him.
Charles Reade… White lies
Words derived from QUIZ: quizzer, quizzable, quizzability, quizzacious, quizzatorial, quizzee, quizzery, quizzical, quizzicality, quizzicalness, quizzically, quizzification, quizzify, quizziness, quizzing, quizzingly, quizzity, quizzy.