Antiacademy English Dictionary

quell

lunes, 6 de agosto de 2018

quell

Verb.
Pronunciation: kwɛl.
Etymology: from Middle English quellen (= to kill).
Preterite tense, preterite participle: quelled.
Present participle: quelling.
It is dated from the end of 800.
Transitively: 1. Obsolete and pristine use: to kill.
2. To make (a fact, a feeling, or the like) cease, mainly if it is undesired, unsuitable or disagreeable; to reduce to nothing; to cause the end of.
Synonyms: to suppress, allay, represss.
Antonyms: to foster, agitate
Translation: reprimir, in Spanish; reprimere, in Italian; réprimer, in French.
While I regarded this terrific animal, and more especially the appearance on its breast, with a feeling of horror and awe — with a sentiment of forthcoming evil, which I found it impossible to quell by any effort of the reason, I perceived the huge jaws at the extremity of the proboscis, suddenly expand themselves.
Edgar Poe
In this occupation he was extremely diligent and successful; and, when the rebellion was quelled, was ordered to the Mediterranean.
Edward Harding… Naval Biography
The insurrection was at length quelled.
Anna Jameson… Female Sovereigns
A gentle, smiling, and beseeching glance from my wife quelled the anger that was rising within me.
People’s Howitt Journal
With difficulty he kept the ape from her throat and after a time succeeded in quelling her fears..
Edgar Burroughs… The Beasts of Tarzan
[…] the tumult rather subsided than was quelled.
The Parterre of Fiction, vol. I
2. To disable (a person or another animal) from continuing to fight, combat or resist.
Synonyms: to vanquish, overcome, subdue.
Antonyms: be vanquished, lose, surrender, capitulate, submit.
The whole company rose at my entrance; but when I saw so many eyes [… looking] at once upon me, I [… felt] a sudden imbecility, I was quelled by some nameless power which I found impossible to be resisted.
Samuel Johnson… The rambler
The Spaniards also, who had revolted, were quelled by Cato the censor.
Oliver Goldsmith… The history of Rome
Other English words derived from the verb QUELL: quelled, queller, quelling.