Antiacademy English Dictionary

UNDECEIVE

jueves, 25 de febrero de 2010

UNDECEIVE

Undeceive, verbe trans.


[Composed by un- negative prefixe and deceive.]


unde"ceive


To cause to be no longer deceived; to release from deception, fraud, fallacy, delusion, error or mistake; to make (a person) notice a deception; undo the deception of.


Synonym: undelude, unfool, uncheat, unbeguile.


Antonym: deceive, beguile, fool, cheat, delude.


Equivalents in French détromper, désabuser, dessiller, Spanish desengañar and Italian disingannare.


For some moments Emily was chilled into silence by this speech; and, when she attempted to undeceive him, concerning the purport of the note she had inclosed in Montoni's letter, he appeared to have some private reason for disbelieving her assertion, and, for a considerable time, persevered in accusing her of capricious conduct.


Ann Radcliffe (The Mysteries of Udolpho)


Deprived of their adherents and mediators; her pride and jealousy roused to the utmost; with nobody to undeceive her, and you to confirm me; you will find that their intercourse will close with her answer.


Charles Dickens (Barnaby Rudge)


From our childhood bad influencers timed us to live only some years, a centenary, at the most. Undeceive yourself! Life may be as long as you will.


Estefalu


'I, as the husband of the late Signora Montoni,' he added, 'am the heir of all she possessed; the estates, therefore, which she refused to me in her life-time, can no longer be withheld, and, for your own sake, I would undeceive you, respecting a foolish assertion she once made to you in my hearing—that these estates would be yours, if she died without resigning them to me ['].


Ann Radcliffe (The Mysteries of Udolpho)



Emma, your daughter, and the rest, suppose me out of London, as I have been until within this hour. Do not undeceive them.


Charles Dickens (Barnaby Rudge)


When at distance I saw any man galloping towards me, my resemblance-forming fancy immediately made it to be him; and then my heart choked me. But when the person's nearer approach undeceived me, how did I curse the varlet's delay, and thee, by turns! And how ready was I to draw my pistol at the stranger, for having the impudence to gallop; which none but my messenger, I thought, had either right or reason to do!


Samuel Richardson (Clarissa)


[…] undeceived in his deceit, and with his fox's hide stripped off, he sneaked away, abashed, degraded, and afraid.


Charles Dickens (Dombey and Son)


The hostess was soon undeceived in the opinion she had entertained of Adams, whom Trulliber abused in the grossest terms […]


Henry Fielding (Joseph Andrews)



A melancholy experience has undeceived me on many subjects.


Edmund Burke (Speeches and Writings)



You knew of my mistakes, yet would not undeceive me.


Oliver Goldsmith (She Stoops to Conquer)


We have spoken of deception; what of being undeceived?


George Meredith (The Egoist)



[Du Pont determined] to undeceive the Count on this subject.


Ann Radcliffe (The Mysteries of Udolpho)


The French at Rosetta, seeing their four ships sail out of the bay unmolested, endeavoured to persuade themselves that they were in possession of the place of battle. But it was in vain thus to attempt, against their own secret and certain conviction, to deceive themselves; and even if they could have succeeded in this, the bonfires which the Arabs kindled along the whole coast, and over the country, for the three following nights, would soon have undeceived them.


Robert Southey (The Life of Horatio Lord Nelson)


The Doctor's reflections, as he looked after them, and heard the purport of their discourse, were limited at first to certain merry meditations on the folly of all loves and likings, and the idle imposition practised on themselves by young people, who believed for a moment, that there could be anything serious in such bubbles, and were always undeceived - always!


Charles Dickens (The Battle of Life)


Special syntax:


It occurs sometimes construed with the preposition of (mistake, delusion, an error, etc.).



He was undeceived of both errors in the Peninsula.


Robert Southey (History of the Peninsular War, 1823)


By some remark, I undeceived him of the mistake he was laboring under, of my being the lecturer.


Sarah Mendell and Hosmer (Notes of travel and life, 1854)


I was undeceived of both errors […]


Charles Lamb (The essays of Elia and Eliana, 1890)


[…] he has undeceived himself with regard to my conduct […]


Theodore Edward Hook (The parson's daughter, 1833)


See other vocables derived from Latin capere in UNACCEPTANCE.

No hay comentarios: